Downloading and Using Chapel
Chapel is supported on Cray systems and is also portable to UNIX-based parallel platforms, such as commodity clusters or systems from other HPC vendors. It can also be used on laptops/desktops running UNIX, Mac OS X, or Windows with Cygwin. Some users have reported successful executions of Chapel on cloud-based computing systems. More detailed notes on prerequisites can be found in README.prereqs.
Please note that Chapel is a work-in-progress, with all that implies in terms of stability and performance. We are interested in receiving constructive feedback on the Chapel language and compiler, with the goal of improving its utility to and adoption by the parallel programming community.
Chapel Version 1.11.0
- Load the Chapel module: module load chapel
- Read $CHPL_HOME/README for quick-start instructions and next steps.
If these steps don't work, ask your system administrator to ensure that the latest version of Chapel is installed on your system.
Users of Cray® CS™ should use the following steps for downloading Chapel and refer to README.cray for further details.
Mac Homebrew Users
Mac users can build from source as above, or install Chapel using Homebrew:
- Make sure your brew is up-to-date: brew update
- Install the Chapel formula: brew install chapel
- Language and Compiler Improvements
- Tool Improvements
- Documentation Improvements
- Standard Library and Interoperability Improvements
- Runtime Library Improvements
- Performance Optimizations and Generated Code Improvements
- Benchmarks and Performance Results
- Other Miscellaneous Notable Changes
- Priorities for version 1.12
Archived Release Notes (for previous releases)