- May 14, 2013
- Added a link to a Cray blog article about Chapel to
the press page.
- Added home institutions to the contributors page
- Added a picture of the final Chapel logo to the logo page
- May 9, 2013
- May 3, 2013
- April 30th, 2013
- April 18th, 2013
- Version 1.7.0 was released today!! Refreshed various pages
to reflect the release.
- April 16th, 2013
- Added some recent presentations from the Charm++ workshop
and University of Bergen visit to the presentations and tutorials pages.
- Did a minor refresh/update to the upcoming events listings.
- March 26th, 2013
- Added some detail to our April upcoming events in Bergen, Norway and the
Charm++ workshop. Also added mention of our CUG 2013 talk in
- March 19th-20th, 2013
- Added a link to the press page
to a Podcast-style interview about Chapel produced by Brock
Palen and Jeff Squyres for their RCE site.
- Also added a link to a July 2012 IEEE Computer article on
emerging languages including Chapel which somehow never made it onto
the press page.
- Added a recent talk about studying LULESH in Chapel from a
SIAM CSE13 minisymposium to the presentations page and generally pruned the
"Recent Talks" section a bit.
- Added a link to Brad's recently completed UW course using
Chapel to the education page.
- Refreshed the Upcoming Events page.
- January 6th, 2013
- Added a new Chapel overview paper describing the language's history,
motivating themes, and major language concepts ("A Brief Overview of
- Updated a number of pages to reflect the new calendar
year and updated SourceForge project URLs.
- December 12th, 2012
- In preparing a final bibliography for HPCS, added a number
of older publications and slide decks to the archived papers page.
- While cleaning up, added the SC12 presentations to the
chronologically organized archived presentations page,
and a link to the SC12 Educators Program materials to the list
of educator tutorials on the education and
- December 3rd, 2012
- Added links to a course using Chapel by Mikhail Kurnosov at
the Siberian State University of Telecommunications and
Information Sciences to the education page.
- In keeping more with the traditional organization, moved
the Chapel SC12 tutorial slides off of the presentations page. Also,
re-exported a few presentations to reduce their size a bit.
- November 16th, 2012
- Updated the presentations and tutorials pages to capture Chapel-related
materials from SC12.
- Added a link to the last article in the 10 Myths About
Scalable Paralel Programming Languages series to
the Language Definition page.
- November 6th, 2012
- Updated the upcoming events
page to add some more SC12 activities and provide better times
and locations for all of them.
- November 2nd, 2012
- Added another BoF that the Chapel group will be speaking
at, along with the time and location for the 3rd annual Chapel
Users Group (CHUG) Happy Hour, to the upcoming events page.
- October 18th, 2012
- Version 1.6.0 of Chapel was released today!! Updated
content to reflect the new release: download information, contributors list, collaborations list, as well as the
language specification and quick reference sheet on the language definition page.
- Introduced a new Language
Definition page to capture documents that define Chapel
such as the language specification and quick-reference
sheet. In addition, moved some of the more
philosophically-related writings here from the papers page.
- Also introduced a new Language Changes page for tracking
changes to the language over time, both for the sake of helping
users update their codes and to help readers make sense out of
older papers or presentations. Seeded this with changes in the
1.6.0 release and other notable ones from recent releases.
- Added slides for the PGAS 2012 paper by Burkhart et al. that was added
earlier this week.
- October 15th, 2012
- Added a pair of talks to the presentations page from the PGAS/PGAS-X
workshops last week. One is a "state of the union"-style talk
as we come to the end of the DARPA HPCS program, the other
highlights our recent work on adding hierarchical locales to
- Added two new papers, one
evaluating Chapel within a classroom setting against other
parallel programming notations from the University of Basel; a
second describing a bulk communication optimization being
developed at the University of Malaga. Also linked to the two
latest IEEE TCSC blog articles
and refactored and reordered the categories on this page
- September 26th, 2012
- Belatedly added a link to the paper and slides by Nan Dun and Kenjiro
Taura presented at HIPS 2012 evaluating Chapel performance
for a number of lanugage features.
- Added a recent Chapel presentation with video by Vassily
Litvinov from the HPC Advisory Council Conference in Malaga,
- Updated the Upcoming Events
page to include additional SC12 activities and hyperlinks.
- September 11th, 2012
- Added talk given at the University of Malaga today to
the presentations page.
- Updated the upcoming events
page to reflect the SC12 "Chapel Lightning Talks 2012" BoF
- August 21st, 2012
- Added links to recent IEEE
TCSC blog articles on the topic of myths of scalable
parallel programming languages.
- Added recent presentations from the DOE PPME
workshop and AMD Fusion Developers Summmit.
- Updated the Education page
to link to research being done at Knox and Lewis & Clark
- Updated the Upcoming Events
page to reflect some known future events.
- Updated the Job Opportunities
page to reflect that we've filled all of our recently open
- May 3rd, 2012
- April 19th, 2012
- Chapel version 1.5.0 released! Updated the download page to reflect this, as well as the
versions of the language specification and quick reference sheet
on the papers page.
- April 11th, 2012
- March 27th, 2012
- Updated the education
and tutorials web pages to
reflect tutorials contributed by the education community.
Also took a cleanup pass over the education page while here.
- March 15th, 2012
- Updated the education page
regarding Chapel's use in Swiss Universities including a new
quote from Helmar Burkhart relating his impressions of Chapel
as a language for parallel programming education.
- February 29th, 2012
- February 21st, 2012
- Removed the Chapel manager position from the job opportunities page; it has been filled.
- Also replaced the SPEEDUP presentation with a smaller version (in
terms of file size).
- February 15th, 2012
- Added slides for last week's talk at the 40th SPEEDUP
Workshop on High-Performance Computing to the presentations page and took the
opportunity to move a few other presentations to the archives.
- February 14th, 2012
- January 27th, 2012
- Added the slides for yesterday's talk at the University of
Washington. This talk connected the dots between HPC
computing and the future of mainstream computing a bit more
than we normally do. Also used this as an excuse to
rearrange the presentations page a bit.
- January 23rd, 2012
- Noting the new date (Janary 26th) for the Chapel colloquium
talk at UW on the Upcoming Events
page after it got cancelled on account of snow. Also updated
the entry for the Swiss HPC visit to include a tutorial that
will be given on February 8th.
- January 10th, 2012
- Belatedly added a ParCo 2011 paper on parallel file I/O for
Block-distributed arrays in Chapel to the "Chapel
Collaborations" section of the Publications and Papers page.
- January 3rd, 2012
- Added a new Press page to track
notable Chapel articles and references in the media and
- Added slides from talks at LLNL and the DOE Workshop on
Exascale Programming Challenges to the Presentations page and reorganized
Presentations page to be chronological.
- December 11th, 2011
- Added a link to the February SPEEDUP Workshop on HPC to
the events page
- December 7th, 2011
- November 18th, 2011
- October 20th, 2011
- Updated the download page to
reflect today's release of Chapel 1.4.0.
- Added new publications from the PGAS 2011 workshop on the
topics of (i) writing parallel iterators and
(ii) interoperability to the papers page. Also added an LLNL progress
report describing the interoperability work in more detail.
- Added recent talks:
(i) an INT Exascale workshop talk on Programming Models and
Chapel for Exascale Computing and (ii) a Google
- Added a new events page to
call attention to upcoming Chapel-oriented events.
- Added tutorial slides from
the Discovery 2015 workshop.
- Added the new draft of the language specification to the
- Reformatted the presentations and papers pages to break entries into
categories, and teased older entries into archive
sections on separate pages.
- Refreshed the collaborations and contributors pages.
- August 11th, 2011
- June 22nd, 2011
- Added a number of recent technical
papers, including CUG 2011 papers on authoring user-defined
distributions and mapping Chapel to Qthreads (each with slides);
and technical reports on implementing Chapel's atomic statements
and mapping Chapel to GPUs.
- Added recent presentations from DCPM and Salishan.
- Added links to courses that have used Chapel and a new
mailing list for educators to the education page.
- Added the slides from our CUG
- Updated our Collaborations, Contributors, and Acknowledgements pages.
- April 21st, 2011
- Chapel version 1.3.0 has just been released and is now
available for downloads.
- Added several new and archival presentations on Chapel and related
- Added a new Chapel in
- Updated the design of the Chapel web pages thanks to
contributions from Eric Nordlund.
- Split most of the tutorials
into a distinct tutorial
archives page to avoid clutter.
- Added version 0.8 of the language specification to
the publications and papers page.
- Took a general pass over most pages, refreshing their
- March 30th, 2011
- Added presentations from the SIAM CSE 2011 Minisymposium
on Chapel to the presentations page.
- November 30th, 2010
- Added our recent tutorials from SC10 and the PRACE Autumn
School to the tutorials page.
- October 21st, 2010
- Chapel version 1.2.0 is available for download now
- August 19th, 2010
- Updated the contributors page
to reflect the current team.
- Took a housecleaning pass over the pages for uniformity.
- May 14th, 2010
- Refreshed the content of our collaborations page to reflect new
collaborations, capture older ones, and suggest possibilities for new
- Refreshed the content of our presentations page to include a more recent
Chapel overview talk and video.
- Added a reference to a recent publication by the Colorado State
group on parallel patterns in Chapel to the Publications and Papers page.
- Added portability notes to the download page.
- May 12th, 2010
- April 21st, 2010
- April 15th, 2010